So you came to the beautiful shores of the Gulf of Mexico for a great tan and fun in the surf and now it is a cloudy day or it is raining on and off and just not a beach day. Well, chin up because you have come to an area that has much more to offer than sand and surf!
Below you will find some things to do in Destin on a cloudy or rainy day!
For starters, if it is raining, there is always the movies. The Rave in Destin is incredible with 14 theatres and an IMax screen all with current movies to meet everyone’s taste. And speaking of taste… try one of these fine eateries in the Destin Commons on your way to the movies or afterwards:
- The Candy Maker (850-654-3355)
- Tropical Smoothie (850-269-0494)
- Zoies’ (850-650-652)
- Hard Rock Café’ (850-654-3310)
- Panera Bread (850-837-2486)
- Johnny Rockets (850-837-0005)
- Poppy’s Time Out Sports Bar & Grill (850-424-7172)
- Cold Stone Creamery (850-837-6838)
- RedBrick Pizza (850-424-5990)
- Dave’s Dogs – in the center
And of course, lasses and lads alike can always get a manicure. There are so many nail salons along Highway 98 that I’m not going to list them all but it is always a relaxing treat when the skies are gray. Speaking of relaxing, how about a massage? Treat yourself to some time at a local Spa. Here are a few right in Destin.
- Spa At Emerald Grande – 866.707.7860
- Beverly Hills Day Spa – 850.654.8544, 114 Palmetto Street, Ste 6, Destin, FL
- Edge of Paradise Day Spa – 850.650.4569, 1021 Hwy 98 E, Destin, FL
- Serenity By The Sea Spa – 850.622.9595, 4000 S Sandestin® Blvd., Miramar Beach, FL
- Surfside Spa – 850.543.7905, 1096 Scenic Hwy Gulf Drive, Destin, FL
- The Royal Palm – 850.351.0600, 4201 Two Trees Road, Destin, FL
- The Spa at Silver Shells – 850.337.5107, 15000 Emerald Coast Pkwy., Destin, FL
Painting your own pottery is a great way to make a memory of your vacation and is fun for all ages.
27 Quincy Circle * Seaside, Florida 32459
Open 10am-6pm today * ( 850-231-3211)
Sometimes, a quiet day in the library, browsing through books of every subject, can be a time of great satisfaction and entertainment.
Destin Library: 150 Sibert Ave, Destin, FL 32541 (850- 837-8572)
Coastal Branch Library: 437 Greenway Trl, Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459 (850) 267-2809 Or the Wickman Branch: 290 Elm Street, Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459 (850) 231-5015
The Track: 1125 Highway 98 Destin, FL 3254 ( 850-654-4668), has an abundance of activities from mini golf to bumper cars and go-karts that can be enjoyed on a sunless, gray day.
If the sky is gray and you have left the beach for the day, Destin has an all year round ice skating rink! Yup! Believe it or not! Ice skating in Florida in the Summer. Here is the information that might lead you to do something you least expected to do on your vacation:
Destin on Ice – Destin Commons Parking Lot: Look for the white picket fence – Ice skates, ice by the hour and socks available to rent. Hours: 5:00pm -10:00 pm – Call (850) 586-9181
And if you feel like listening to some rainy day music, here are a some tunes which may get you humming:
- Fool in the Rain–Led Zeppelin
- Have You Ever Seen the Rain?–Creedence Clearwater Revival
- Blame It On the Rain–Milli Vanilli
- Kathy’s Song–Simon & Garfunkle
- It’s Raining Again –Supertramp
- Here Comes the Rain Again–Eurythmics
- Can’t Stand the Rain–Missy Elliot or Ann Peebles
- Thunder Only Happens When It’s Raining–Fleetwood Mac
- Red Rain–Peter Gabriel
- Singin’ In the Rain–Gene Kelly or Debbie Reynolds of Jimmy Durante or Judy Garland
- Rain–The Beatles
- Rainy Day People–Gordon Lightfoot
- Purple Rain–Prince
- Early Morning Rain–Peter, Paul, and Mary
- I Love a Rainy Night–Eddie Rabbit
- I Can See Clearly Now–Johnny Nash I
- Somewhere Over the Rainbow–Iz
- Box of Rain–The Grateful Dead
- Fire and Rain–James Taylor
- Rainy Dayz–Mary J. Blige and Ja Rule
Whether curling up with a good book, throwing pottery or a bowling bowl or just sitting and watching the rain while humming a favorite tune, enjoy your time away from the usual grind and be happy you are on vacation, rain or shine…there are so many things to do in Destin!
Remember, the sun always shines on the Emerald Coast…You may just have to wait a minute!